Saturday 8 June 2013

I am making baked French fires for supper. I've been craving them all week. Baking them uses only 1 Tbsp. of oil for 2 potatoes, so it is way healthier than frying/deep frying.

It's funny, last summer I wanted to make French fries, but I broke my French fry cutter. I looked around & could not find one that I liked, at a reasonable price. I was talking on the phone with my mother one day & she laughed. "Why don't you just cut the potatoes into slices on your cutting board & then slice them into french fries. That's what I did, before we had a French fry cutter." Amazing how simple an idea it was, when I finally looked at it, the right way. All a french fry cutter is, is 2 set of blades. It is a time-saver, it took me all of about 3 minutes to cut up my potato! (we really need a sarcasm font!)

And you know what, I even made home-made Fry sauce!! For those of you who aren't from Idaho like my husband, people you don't know what you are missing! It's amazing! I made myself thoroughly sick of ketchup when I was a teenager, this is absolutely perfect.  Here's my adaptation of a recipe I found online:

Michaelann's fry sauce
1/2 c. lite Mayo
1/4 c. ketchup
1 tsp. dill pickle juice (with garlic bits, if possible)
a dash of Cajun spice

Mix well & refrigerate to let the flavours blend.

Oven-baked French fries
1 - 2 potatoes per person (depends on appetite)
1 Tbsp. oil (in bowl)

Cut potatoes,  dip in oil & place on cookie sheet, or baking pan.
Sprinkle with salt & I also like Cajun spice on mine. Bake at 400F
for 20 minutes, turn them over. Sprinkle a little more salt.
Bake another 10 minutes.
Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment