Sunday 20 September 2015

Canning mishap

September 19, 2015

Had an interesting mishap while experimenting with a new canning recipe. I found a recipe online somewhere (I can't remember where, sorry) for a copycat Frank's hot sauce. I have been meaning to try this for a long time. But I just ran out, which combined with the time of year (canning season) made this the opportune time to try it out. I generally mix different types of peppers together when making hot sauce, salsa or any other spicy foods.

I checked several local veggie stores & picked up a good sized quantity of hot peppers (India chilis), in both red & green. I decided to make 2 separate batches, to see what I though of the differences.

I live in an apartment, so the kitchen has no windows & the living room window isn't accessible right now, as we still have the A/C installed there. I got the vinegar, garlic, salt & peppers boiling & suddenly realized the air was getting SPICY!!! I had to run the vent fan for a couple of hours & I could still (faintly) smell it! 
I have been canning for over 20 years & I have to admit, I felt pretty silly.

No comments:

Post a Comment